Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Sheep Ranchers

Today's picture shows a Montana Sheep Ranch in summer time. The picture was taken in 1939. I really love the big river in the background.

In the comments yesterday, Mr. MB questioned my ability to grow enough grass for a calf in a greenhouse. Actually small hydroponic systems can produce over 100 pounds of grass a day. This would be enough for at least three cows. Also, given I will have some grazing grass on the property, this amount might be enough for up to 4 cows. I was browsing online yesterday, and saw that grass fed filet mignon's go for $100 a pound.


  1. It looks like you have given this a lot of thought. I say go for it. You have may moral support. But you have to keep us posted with photos of both the animals and your fodder system.

  2. And if you choose to raise some sheep, you won't have to mow your lawn anymore. Remember that Pres. Wilson had sheep on the White House lawn.

  3. I'll not be buying one of your filets, but I'm here to testify that grassfed beef is fantastic. I can get it now and then at our farmers' market, and even the ground beef is delightful.

  4. From what my farmer friends tell me, grain is not good for cattle; people "finish" cattle on grain and then slaughter them before they die of liver failure. The meat is tender because the animals are not fully grown.
    Now, s Mr. Anonymous pointed out yesterday, it's none of my business because I don't eat meat, but that's what I've been told.