Sunday, March 27, 2016

Spring Gardening

My peach trees are blooming, the days are getting longer, and the weather is warmer, so spring is in the air in West Texas. So, this will be gardening week here at OPOD. I hope you will share your gardening experiences, past and present.

This picture is from 1940, and it shows a woman with her garden. I must say that is a fine looking garden she has, and I note that there are no weeds. Those look like cabbages to me, but I am not for sure.


  1. Yes, that is a lot of cabbage she is growing there.

    I worked for a guy that had some unused farm land, ( to small to get equipment into) I worked hard at getting the land weed free and in good shape. After a couple of years , he asked to trade gardens with me. I got his weed patch and he took my weed free spot. I tried for two years to clear the weeds out, but finally gave up, and told him I wasn't going to garden any more. Meanwhile the area he took back from me had become weedy again.
    It takes a lot of work to keep gardens weed free. Something you have to work on daily.

  2. That is, as DADD said, a lot of cabbage. An awful lot of sauerkraut, which was the only vegetable my mum never made us eat. Notice she is wearing a dress and lace-up shoes. Probably bobby socks or stockings. Standards have slipped some since the 40s.

  3. I can't imagine growing that much cabbage! Nor eating it in any form whatsoever, sauerkraut or coleslaw. But tastes do differ, as they do in clothing to garden in. I suspect most of today's gardeners, in their slacks or sweats or whatever feels good in their climate, are much more comfortable.

    Once only have I tried to really garden. Mostly I've lived in apartments, with no place to garden. But that once, I lived in rural Indiana in a complex of duplexes on part of what had once been a farm. The retired farmer, when he saw my husband and me digging up our chosen plot, volunteered to rototill it. He saw how hard we worked to keep it as weed-free as possible. THEN he told us that if we'd moved it over ten feet, we'd have been where the manure pile used to be! The following summer, he rototilled the same size plot where we should have had it the year before. Our tomatoes were bigger, the zucchini had to be checked daily or it would get two feet long, the beans were wonderful. What a garden that years-old manure gave us! Too bad we only lived there two summers.

  4. Ah, the weed-free garden! Sigh.
    -Anne K.