Welcome to Fireplace Week here at OPOD. It looks like we still have some winter left, so thought it would be appropriate to look at how people stayed warm back in the day. Today's picture is from 1901, and it shows a cozy cabin warmed by a traditional rock fireplace. Pictured by the fire is John Burroughs, who was an early leader of the conservation movement.
I have mentioned before that we heat our house with a fireplace. It is not one of those decorative type fireplaces, but one designed to heat a house. We have never turned the furnace on in our house. I can keep the house a toasty 75-80 degrees all winter long on a cord and a half of firewood, which costs $300 delivered to my house. Running the furnace and keeping the house that warm would cost $350 in gas and electricity. So, the fireplace was one of the best investments I have ever made. It paid for itself in two years.