Saturday, October 17, 2015

Small People

Welcome to Small People Week. We will be looking at unique persons who are small in stature. In days past, people like this often ended up working in circuses or in carnival side shows. Now, that practice is pretty much a thing of the past. Today's picture shows three small women enjoying lunch in Central Park in New York. It was a special day when such people gathered for a picnic in the park.


As many of you know I teach High School, and one of the favorite parts of my job is the group I lead call the Extraordinary League of Space Cowboys. This group each year designs, builds, and then launches an instrument package into space. Our record altitude to date has been 120,000 feet. If you are interested in following Incredible Students doing Incredible things, you can follow their Space Program HERE.

Just got our class picture made, and wanted to share it with you. I love working at a school where we can pose with a collection of guns used in the Civil War.


  1. Thanks for the update! Your space cadets group is something else. Did they make the drone, or did you buy it? I'm impressed by what you and they are doing. Are all the students in your class involved in this project, or just the more scientific/computer inclined? I'm very glad to see several girls involved--way cool!

    1. I teach 4 years of engineering. Those students who do very well in Engineering I and Engineering II can apply to be in the Space Cowboys class. This class is only open to the top students, and it is a block class that lasts all afternoon. The drone we had was a kit that the students put together. Lots of engineering and not an easy thing to do.

  2. Love the picture of the little women in Central Park. I wonder if they bought extra small corsets to wear during the corset era? I also like your Space Cowboys photo!
    -Anne K.