Saturday, October 31, 2015

Carnival Ride



Welcome to Carnival and Midway Week here at OPOD. We will be looking at the time honored tradition of inviting a group of con artists with unhealthy food and dangerous rides into our communities. I hope as the week goes on you will share some of your favorite memories of Carnivals and Midways with us.

We start with this picture from 1942 of a carnival ride in Brownsville Texas. Note that this is not a normal ferris wheel. The rides have "wings" that control the orientation of the seats. Riders had a control stick inside that would allow them to position the riding seat with their heads towards the inside of the wheel, outside of the wheel or in between. As you can imagine, as you went around, this could create a challenge to keep your orientation straight. While it looks like a simple ride, this is one of those that would very easily make you very sick as you lose track of which way is up.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite carnival was in Lagrange, IN in 1961. I asked a strange girl to dance at a street dance. It started a 3 year 1000 miles apart courtship that ended up in an almost 52 year marriage. The rides were alright but I spent most of my time shooting baskets at the basketball booth. Had to win teddy bears for my new girlfriend. My favorite rides were the ferris wheel and the tilt-a-whirl.

    ReplyDelete