Thursday, July 9, 2015

Maasai Warriors

Today's picture is from 1936 and shows native Maasai Warriors. The wonderful thing about Kenya is that these indigenous people can still be found living their traditional lifestyles. The Maasai are wonderful people. 

Like I have mentioned earlier. People really just have completely wrong impressions about Africa. I know I did before I first came here. I have been trying to figure out how to show what Kenya is really like. I think this video by the Kenya Boys Choir really captures the heart of Africa.


  1. What a moving video that is. I really did enjoy listening to those young men - and I couldn't help but notice what gorgeous teeth they all had.

  2. Beautiful song and video, thanks for sharing! (I always have loved that song by Paul Simon, which he sung with Ladysmith Black Mambazo.)
    I think our images of unknown places are definitely full of stereotypes and mis-impressions until one travels there and learns otherwise. The other thing that strikes me is how happy the people seem to be in 3rd world countries. Makes one wonder....
    -Anne K.

  3. You are correct, PJM. these are not the "assumed" Africans. The emotion and lyrical spirit revealed in this song would leave anyone as happy as I was to see it. I wish I could go and see for myself but my traveling days are over I'm afraid. Thanks for the lift.

  4. Thanks for sharing that brief video. I've loved Ladysmith Black Mambazo for years, but can't listen to them now--a CD player doesn't play tapes, and my version of them in just a tape. It's wonderful to see the joy of the body language in the dancing and the pride in the children watching their role models. For those of us who can't travel to Africa, even small snippets like this are important, in addition to being just plain gorgeous.