Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Roosevelt in Knickers

It is not just every man that has the self confidence to wear Knickers. I would say Roosevelt was one man who could pull it off. The big axe certainly helps the overall outfit. The picture was taken in 1898.


  1. Speak softly and carry a big stick. Having an axe head on the end of it doesn't hurt.

    1. Well said!
      -Anne K.

  2. I like knickers. Wish more baseball players still wore them. They make a distinctive outfit.

  3. At first glance it looks as it he's carrying a bouquet of flowers. That *really* would have made that outfit "pop", as the expressions puts it.

  4. My first impression too, Lady Anne. Also, I thought there was bare skin between his socks and the knickers. Then I saw the row of three "moles" up his bare calves and realized they were buttons on cuffs of the knickers! This was confirmed when I noticed the slight edge on the cuff on the other leg. Actually, that cuff looks a little uncomfortable, made of leather, canvas, or another stiff material. But you have to admit, he was a dapper dresser, in or out of uniform.