Thursday, October 9, 2014

Chicken Dinner

It is amazing how much things have changed in the last 100 years. Today's picture is so foreign, and would be almost barbaric to many today. The picture is from 1938, and it shows two women killing a chicken to cook it for supper. There are probably not many people around today who would be able to butcher even a chicken.


  1. These were the "Good Old Days." Most of us don't have to face it any more.

  2. In our little community in Wyoming, there are alot of chicken butcherers. It is very common to have a coop of chickens and a freezer full of "fresh" chicken. And the eggs are great too.

  3. I remember watching my uncle chop the heads off the chickens for dinner. Then we had to clean them. Yech! The smells were terrible.

    When I went through survival school, I was the only one in my squad who had ever cleaned a rabbit. I got to do them all. I am really hoping I have cleaned my last rabbit and my last chicken!

  4. My husband and his younger brother - about 5 and 7 - were sent out to kill a chicken for dinner. Hubby held the chicken; brother had the ax - a double bladed ax, which he could barely lift. My husband leaned over and told his brother to "stop pecking at it, and SWING." Which brother did. He lifted the axe and cut my husband's head open. It was the last time they got sent out to do that particular chore.

    1. Great story, Lady Anne!
      -Anne K.

  5. One of my earliest memories is a trip with parents and grandparents to Alberta CA to see some distant relatives.

    We spent a few days at their farm, and they killed several chickens for a big dinner. I clearly remember them 'running around with their heads cut off' like the saying goes. Also, the womenfolk out in the yard plucking feathers.

    That, the smelly sulfur lakes at Yellowstone, some actual steam locos pulling long strings of railcars, and everything else is a blur. That was late 50's and I was 4 or 5 at the time.

  6. That's exactly how a lot of chickens ended up on my grandparents' dinner tables. It just was a part of life, much like my 4-H friends selling their calves and such at auction after judging at the County Fair.

  7. I heard humorist Garrison Keillor on NPR give a great monologue about killing chickens and how serious an event it was to his solemnly religious family. When I was 5 or 6 our elderly neighbor lady brought over an old stew hen to my mother. She stood at the door talking to mom and I reached out to pet the chicken. Straightway she proceeded to jerk the hen by the neck and no sooner had she done so the chicken was running headless about the back yard, head still in the lady's hand. I was too young to be horrified by the event. Mom plucked and cleaned the "body" and later that evening we had some great chicken and dumplings.

  8. You mentioned a necktie. Yes, it is interesting how they are all dressed up and clean in these photos. You know a woman did NOT put on a clean dress to butcher a chicken for dinner.