Thursday, August 28, 2014

Students



Today's picture shows two students in a one room school. The picture was taken in New Mexico in 1943, so I guess the tradition of one room schools was still alive at that time. The truth is that it does not take that much infrastructure to give a child a good education. We home schooled our daughter all the way through, and she had no trouble adapting to college, and in fact graduated college at the top of her class. I think the key to a good education is discipline and high expectations. I am very fortunate that the school where I teach still has both discipline and high expectations. The students thrive in that environment.

3 comments:

  1. You hit it right on the head, DISCIP:INE. Teaching them to study correctly and apply themselves is the big secret..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I can't agree with you more.
    -Anne K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our children went to a "race-balanced school" in high school which concerned my very much because it became a school with little discipline. My concern, aside from the obvious threat for young girls, was that they could not get a college level education in a school program with very low TASK scores.

    Turned out that I was making wrong assumptions on all my concerns because both girls studied hard and placed at the top of their graduating classes then went to Texas A&M and did very well in their majors. Today they have challenging jobs that pay very well.


    This story points out two cases where a bad school does not have to result in a poor performance at every level if the student is motivated and challenged,

    This seems to be what you are doing at your school. It must be a lot of work for you but I believe it is worth any cost or sacrifice. Congratulations PJM

    ReplyDelete