Friday, August 15, 2014

Soda Fountain

We wrap up ice cream week with this picture from 1936 of a Soda Fountain. This looks like a float the young man is serving up. When I was growing up, the local drug store had soda fountains that served all types of treats, and the floats were the best.


  1. Cresent Ridge Dairy in Sharon, Mass. Still in operation since 1932. My childhood memory is sitting at the picnic table with my mom, dad and sisters, watching the cows in the field trying not to drop my tripple scoop cone. My older sister was careful to not get ice cream on her hands or clothes. She ate it in a bowl with a spoon while me and my little sister had ice cream melting all over our hands and and running down our chins. My dad was a cone guy and my mom loved the frappes, (thats like a milk shake made with ice cream, not milk). Funny how you remember stuff from 45 years ago but I can't tell you what I had for dinner last night.

  2. Love "floats," root beer or coke. My blood sugar doesn't let me have them anymore. Boo hoo.

  3. My Dad was a "soda jerk" at the local drug store in Meadville Missouri during the first part of WWII until he enlisted in the Navy. The teenage girls would come in and enjoy their soft drinks and then, for a prank, stack the glass glasses so they would stick together, making it hard to separate them without breaking them.