Thursday, August 14, 2014

Good Humor Man

Today's picture shows children buying ice cream from the Good Humor Ice Cream Man. The picture was taken in 1942. I can remember Ice Cream trucks like this when I was a child. I have not seen an ice cream truck in a long time, so I don't know if many of them are around any more.


  1. I can't believe this! I varnish boats for a living, so I'm always working outdoors. Yesterday afternoon, about 5 p.m., there was a strong south wind, and it blew toward me the sound of the ice cream man over on a little residential island across the lake. Of course they play recorded music now, rather than ringing a bell or whatever, but there's no mistaking the sound. I almost laid down my brush to go running across the bridge to find him.

  2. I guess I'm lucky that ice cream trucks no longer drive past my driveway. Hard to resist. My favorite as a kid was orange "popsicle" around a core of ice cream. Can't remember what it was called. Had to look up the correct spelling for popsicle -- guess I never had occasion to spell it before!

    1. 50/50 bars can still be purchased at the grocery store.

  3. I'm in Virginia and we have an ice-cream truck in town. It plays recorded music-box type music and half of the tunes are Christmas songs.

  4. Earlier this summer we had an ice cream truck go by our house a couple of times. There are very few children on this street (none!) so I guess with no sales, he found a better area.

  5. They are called DREAMCYCLES.
    Up here in Grand Forks, ND, the only time , it seem, the truck runs is in the summer time when the kids are not in school.
    We can hear those ice cream truck tunes for a long time before the truck shows up. What ever they do, the sound sure carries a long way.

  6. The ice cream man today is disgusting. The heavily decaled, grimey van plays the same annoying song everyday at he same time. 76 Trombones in my neighborhood. The man himself is sketchy. Very creepy and dirty looking. Everyone's suspicion is that the ice cream man is now a drug dealer.

    This is a very sad example of our state today.