Monday, July 21, 2014

White Crystal Diner

Today's picture features the White Crystal Diner. It was in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey.

Yesterday Sue mentioned in the comments that she orders BLT and Milkshake at diners. I had forgotten about the BLT. Yes, that is one of my favorite menu items as well.

I do miss these old diners. We really don't have any left in this area. They have pretty much all been displaced by the big chain places.


    In Toronto: the cook has been there for over 35 years. A master of eggs.

  2. When I first moved to the rural area where I now live, there was a small, family owned, grill. Only seating was outside but the hamburgers were fantastic and they made the old fashioned malts and shakes. It too has closed -- evidently people prefer cheap (McDonalds, etc.) over quality.

  3. Pope George RingoJuly 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM

    We still have a few in our area in NE Pennsylvania. I am amazed that we still do considering the chains taking everything over. Nothing like a good homemade burger and fries...I am getting hungry...maybe I'll stop over the diner for a bite.

  4. Back in the 60's and 70's we used to do alot of camping as a family and the best part while on the road was stopping at a diner. We didn't go out to eat much as a kid except for family vacation. Going out to eat was a very special occasion and we had better mind our manners and be on our very best behavior. My favorite place was a small drive-in diner in Vergennes, VT. The watresses rollar skate up to the car and take your order. They hang that big tray of food on the car window. I thought that was the neatest thing, The food was the best and I loved watching the girls zip around on those rollar skates with full plates of food.