Wednesday, July 30, 2014

San Antonio Barber



Today's picture shows a barber and his shop in San Antonio. The picture was taken in 1939. Interestingly, the price of a haircut was ten cents. I can remember growing up in the 1960's, and I remember a haircut being a dollar. So roughly a 10X increase in 30 years. I am really not sure what the average price for a man's haircut is today, but I would be around $20. So in the last 40 years or so, a whopping 20X increase in price. Hmmm . . . If I am now around 50, and lets say I live to be 80 or so, by that time I will be paying $400 for a haircut? That is sort of scary. 

4 comments:

  1. There will be a lot of long-haired 80 yr olds.
    I remember taking my little brother to the barber shop. It cost 75 cents. No girl would have her hair cut there. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need for me to worry, I am bald on top. Simply just shave the back and sides daily. I feel as if I am paying too much nowadays when I go to the barber. He finishes w/me in half the time it takes for him to do most of the other customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get a 'bald man's special' that's only $9. In a few years that should drop to zero, at the rate my hair is disappearing. So I have that hedge against inflation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I get tired of the wife nagging about my hair I get one of my granddaughters to cut it. She uses the dogs clippers with an attachment that cuts it about 3/8 inch all over.

    ReplyDelete