Monday, April 28, 2014

Children and Bicycle



Today's picture is from 1921, but I actually remember this was the style of bicycles when I was a child in the 1960's. The handlebars were big and wide. The seat was a saddle style that was well padded, and had springs underneath. The seats were very comfortable. The bikes had headlights, but unfortunately battery technology was not very good, so the lights were not bright and the batteries died after a few minutes. Another feature was the bikes had fenders, so the tires would not sling water on you if you went through a puddle.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, my first bike in 1965 looked just like that. Had a battery operated horn in that center bar console. My friends teased me as it was a hand me down from my older cousin. The following year I received a monkey handle bar, banana seat special. THAT was the rage. Then I was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. and there were " long horn " handlebars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I don't know why we called them "Monkey" as Longhorn was fitting.

      Delete
    2. They called them monkey bars because you had to reach up to hold on to them. You sort of looked like a monkey hanging on to the side of a cage.

      Delete
  3. I had a late 60's early 70's red Stingray complete with banana seat and sissy bar. A couple of friends had the stingray with the 3 speed shifter mounted on the bar. I saw a few accidents involving that shifter, ouch. I had a flag attached to the sissy bar and a pocket transistor radio attached to the stearing handle cross bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That was quite the coveted model when I was a kid. I only had the one speed model.

      The rare "two speed kick back" variant was the most coveted of them all.

      Delete
    2. I remember that model bike. They were pretty rare. Only the rich, spoiled kids would have one of those. : )

      Delete