Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Woman Sharecropper



Today's picture shows a woman sharecropper. The picture was taken in Arkansas near West Memphis in 1936. In looking at the picture, I notice the terrible condition of her shoes and socks. It would be hard to work with tattered shoes like that. It is sad that many people in the world today still operate at this barely survive level. As Americans, I fear we often whine too much and do not appreciate the simple things like enough food, shelter, and good shoes.

7 comments:

  1. Agreed: we have become a Nation of whiners who identify a "right" as anything they want at the time. Everyone has a whiner stories because it pervades the country so deeply. My parents stopped my whining at a very early age by denying some of those things you mentioned PJM and it stuck with me clear through today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a side note, these black and white photo's have a excellent clarity, must have been very good lens on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more about film sizes, film grain size, and print size. Resolution was one of the prime objectives. 4x5 inch film was the common size before role film. 60 mm film was the first common role size.

      Delete
    2. My grandmother, taking photos of her family in the 1920s - 1930s used a box Brownie. Most of the prints from those years are still sharp and clear. Color profession family photos from 1978 are faded and lost. I do love those black and white stills.

      Delete
  3. Well said, PJM. Great photo as well, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing PJM.
    I hope you can continue this site for many years to come!!
    I don't comment much but this is my favorite site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That post behind the woman can't be doing much to hold up the roof. One good spring thunderstorm might break it...

    ReplyDelete