Sunday, March 2, 2014

Corn Patch

Today's picture shows a man tending his corn patch. I have to admit that I usually don't see people dressed this well working in a garden. The picture is from 1918.

Perhaps someone could explain the function of the little hand plow he is using? Is it for turning the ground under, or is he using it for weeds?


  1. It's a cultivator and yes it's for removing weeds. Jerry

  2. My grandfather had me using one in the garden when I was a kid. I found it very challenging - this is a description pulled from a modern version...still pushed by hand.

    Heavy but crude. Solid steel frame with unbreakable solid oak handles and steel wheel. Handles 1-3/4"W x 3/4" thick!

    Five-prong "arrow-foot" tines 8-3/8"W prepare seed beds and break up crusted soil
    Reversible shovel cuts seed rows
    Moldboard plow turns soil and makes 4" furrow
    45"H, 22 lb
    Assembles in 20 minutes

    very versatile tool! I am not going to order one.

  3. Usage is determined by the attachment. Here is a link to a modern version.

  4. Cultivator. Wish I had one. Check out his dress. Don't think you could find someone dressed like that now gardening.

  5. He probably dressed up for the picture and not his normal work clothes.

  6. most likely a sunday after church and he wanted a picture in the garden