Sunday, January 12, 2014

Bowler Hat

Today we look at the Bowler Hat. To be honest, I do not care for this hat style much. To me, it is neither practical nor does it look very good. These hats were popular in the early 1900's.


  1. Disagree. They have been popular since mid-nineteenth century. The shape of the hat is much more crush-resistant to the top hat.

    When we think of derbies or bowler hats, we think of London bankers, the Wild West, politicians smoking cigars, gangsters named Mugsy, Laurel and Hardy, Oddjob or Alex and his droogies.

    FUN FACT: Felt made of beaver fur is very expensive but is a superior material for hats because of its non-water absorption qualities.

    I actually own a derby. It is the less formal option to the top hat in certain levels of dressage. And I look very cute wearing it.

  2. Oh, shades of Stan Laurel! (Whom I have been told I resemble, BTW.)

  3. A bowler hat has always looked smart, might not be practical?

    All the best Jan

  4. Bowlers are a nearly extinct hat form that originated, oddly enough, as a species of riding gear. They were sort of a felt helmet for gentlemen riders.

    They're one of the hats I blogged about on my hat thread on my blog:

    That particular thread gets a lot of hits, so hats are a topic that apparently a lot of people, myself included, find interesting.

  5. At sixty-six, and a lifelong non-hat-wearer, I find myself becoming more drawn to wearing a hat now than I ever did. I started with a white, straw panama to protect from the sun - then I added a Harris Tweed drop-brim hat as a winter warmer... now I find myself trying to buy a good bowler (very tricky to get the right fit for an XL head like mine!). I just love the look, and it goes well with my other, new craze - self-tie bowties in an assortment of colours and patterns! Perhaps I'm having a late-life crisis after becoming widowed?