Thursday, December 12, 2013


Cold Weather Week continues here at OPOD with this picture of some girls sledding. The picture was taken around 1915. Looks like they are having a lot of fun.


  1. Snow! I hope we don't get any!

  2. Ah, the ol' double decker sled stunt...been there, done that. I am surprised the younger girl has no mittens on. Brrr!
    We have 4" of snow in the yard with more flurries expected today. Plenty cold though.
    -Anne K.

  3. Of course the problem with the double decker is you add too much weight and the rails just sink in the snow and you don't go anywhere. In 1915 the first stop sign was introduced in Detroit MI, Red Sox won the world series, and WW1 was getting real nasty with Germany bringing out chemical weapons. Top items on kids wish list to santa were, Candy, Nuts, Books, Hankerchiefs, Oranges, Skates, Mittens, Dolls, Toy Trains, and Rocking Horses. Candy was number 1. BIG difference from todays wish list.

  4. When I was about 5 we lived in a house on a hill with our detached garage at the bottom. It was great for sledding - as long as you made the turn at the bottom. That picture could be me & my friend, Molita. She was on the bottom & couldn't get the sled turned. I bailed off and she didn't have time to. Broken nose. Blood all over. I don't remember her ever coming over to my house to play again.