Monday, November 18, 2013


Today's picture shows one of the main attractions of a carnival . . . the rides! I will have to say though that spinning rides like this one definitely make me sick. The picture was taken in Plant City, Florida in 1939.


  1. No spinning rides for me either. I felt slightly sick just watching our kids ride on the Mad Tea Party at Disney World. Although when I was young I could ride on swings forever with no ill effects. Now just a half minute of swinging and it's time to get off. I'm not sure what changes as you age, but no tolerance for it anymore. : (
    -Anne K.

  2. I don't tolerate the rides very well either. When our kids were smaller, and wanting to go on all of the rides, we found an amazing solution. Older cousins! Just pay for unlimited rides for an older cousin to take my two on whatever they wanted. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy their smiling faces (and upset tummies) Cheap at twice the price.
    Graham in St. John's

  3. Loved the carnivalas a kid, still do. I remember once I took my date on a ride that had these 2 rocket ships on either end that went up and spun all around. We were getting thrown all over inside of the cage and her shoes came flying off so when that cage spun those shoes were clanging around all over, hitting both of us in the head. My favorite part were the games though. You knew they were rigged but you played them anyway. I still go to the carnival, but these days I stick to the carosel, the ferris wheel and the fried dough.

  4. Some time ago another member of our church and I took a group of youngsters - 10 to 12 years old, I guess - to Hershey Park. When the Merry-Go-Round stopped, I sat there, waiting for Bruce to come get me, for no other reason than The Squire always lifts me off the horses. When it was obvious it had never crossed Bruce's mind (and why should it?) I slid down and caught my sit-upon on the metal stirrup, and lost my balance. Only person in the world to fall off a stopped wooden horse. Yeesh.

  5. I rode the roller coast one time - well, on one night. But I rode it eight times in a row and was done with it. Never been on one since.

    The one I liked, and still will ride (or at least did as recently as ten years ago) is the Tilt-a-Whirl. I think it's because it stays on the ground.