Tuesday, November 5, 2013


I think one of the often overlooked educational toys is a microscope. A microscope can provide children with an exciting learning experience. It spurs curiosity about science and nature. This picture was taken in 1943 at the Bethune-Cookman college in Florida.


  1. I don't know if exciting is the word I would use to describe toy microscopes, particularly the plastic stuff they push out today. Interesting maybe, but not exciting.

  2. One can find decent glass microscopes from science supply houses for a reasonable price. We've had one for years. I felt it was necessary equipment since I have a science background and because we homeschool. My kids like exploring with the microscope but I wouldn't consider it a toy, more of a learning tool.
    -Anne K.

  3. Glad to know you are alive & well, Nate....albeit BUSY. Miss your blog & comments here, but understand.

  4. My parents gave our daughters a low stool with a magnifying glass in the center. They'd go into the yard and crawl around for hours (they were 8 and 12) looking at the grass and the critters that lived there.

  5. I bought my daughter an electronic microscope which plugs into the computer....she loves looking at things with it.
    And it has great magnification and clarity.
    The nicest thing is that you can save the immages.