Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ice Skating

This week we are looking at pictures of leisure sporting activities people used to do. Today's picture shows ice skating. Growing up in West Texas, I never did a lot of ice skating, but it does look like a lot of fun. This picture was taken in Washington DC. Perhaps if there are any leisure skaters out there, they could shed more light on the activity.


  1. A great photo and I love the ladies' hats. The woman on the left could be my grandmother who was a regular ice skater. My mother grew up skating on country ponds and my siblings and I skated as well. When I was young many of the city parks would flood an ice rink every winter. Later, due to budget cuts, those unfortunately disappeared. We took advantage of a large local pond to skate and clearing snow off it was the biggest challenge. We would skate, play hockey or tag on the ice. Some hardware stores sold used skates so parents could outfit their growing kids quite reasonably. We spent many fun hours on the ice and I recall vigorous, all-age hockey games were everyone eventually took off their winter coats due to overheating. Too bad more skating rinks aren't created for kids to get outside during the winter months.
    We make a small 20' x 40' rink in our side yard. It is a bit of work but I still love to skate and the kids pick it up quickly when exposed at a young age. (and the smaller you are the easier you fall!) Skating is wonderful exercise and gives one another outdoor activity to enjoy during our long Michigan winters.
    -Anne K.

  2. In Minnesota, we would skate from early morning till night when we could...sometimes a pickup game of hockey, sometimes just skating, sometimes racing...sometimes falling in the creek when the ice was too thin....stop, build a fire, thaw out, and carry on! Wonder if I can still skate?

  3. As a kid growing up in Massachusettes winter pond hockey was something to look forward to. The ponds were packed with kids during the day and at night the adults came out to enjoy a skate. The town put up spot lights. Skate swaps saved parents with kids and growing feet alot of money.

  4. When I was 12 and camping in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe, my parents took us (me+3 brothers) ice skating at the Olympic rink built for the 1960 winter Olympics at Squaw Valley. We thought it would be a piece of cake, being accomplished roller skaters...we fell all over ourselves...my father however, being born and raised in Minnesota, could do anything and everything on skates...we were dumbfounded...he could skate backwards, spin...we were in awe and had no idea such an "old" guy could do those things...

    1. 'like' those memories . . . of the good ol' days

  5. I love ice skating. I can watch it for hours. From a warm vantage point, preferably.