Sunday, October 20, 2013

Swimming Pool

Recreation Week continues here at OPOD with this fine picture from the 1940's of a public swimming pool. Many find relief from the summer heat at the local pool, but I will have to admit that I have spent the better part of my life avoiding public swimming pools. I like river swimming and recreation, but the swimming pool . . . well, I have fears that it might really be sort of a big cesspool.


  1. I prefer a lake in northwest Wisconsin. We have a polar bear club here who jump into a lake each new years day. They say its fun.. Yeah sure.....

    Grandpa Vern

  2. Regarding your cesspool thought word, "chlorine." And lots of it. LOL
    We grew up belonging to a neighborhood swim pool. It was within biking distance and we spent many, many hours during the heat of summer in that pool. I can recall days when the bottoms of my toes were nearly bleeding from bouncing on tippy toes for hours on the rough pool bottom. But we all grew up to be good swimmers and unafraid of the water. Plus my folks liked that it gave us something to do all summer.
    Keep the photos coming. :)
    -Anne K.

  3. We have a backyard pool.