Saturday, October 19, 2013

Recreation



Last week was "chore" week, so this week we are going to look at recreation. Today, we have a picture of a looping roller coaster. Surprisingly, this picture is from 1903, so roller coasters have been around for a long time.

I do enjoy amusement parks, especially if you go on a day that is not so crowded. I like the rides that go up and down, like roller coasters or log rides, but the rides that spin in a circle make me sick. 

I have been to many theme parks, and my favorite is Universal Studios. I am not such a fan of the really big ones like Disney Land and Disney World. I think Six Flags over Texas, in Dallas, is a great theme park.

6 comments:

  1. I just want to say, I come here to this blog all the time and I am never disappointed. I scrolled through the last 6 or 7 pictures, to catch up, and I really enjoyed myself. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our favorite is Hershey Park, which is not too far from the Baltimore area. Rides every bit as nice as the parks near Williamsburg, but less expensive - and most important - less crowded. Also, a lot of Amish and Mennonite families come here, so you are dealing with much more polite and considerate folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hershey Park is great - we went there with friends several years ago when our daughter was in high school and attending a gymnastics summer camp in the area. I remember that the temperature was in the 90s that day and we were sweating bullets!! Here in Rhode Island we used to have wonderful amusement park right on Narragansett Bay and Warwick Neck - Rocky Point. It was in operation from the 1840s until 1995, when it finally went bankrupt. During it's heyday, Rocky Point had a huge pool, a shore dinner hall, a midway, and rides. Most recently the land has been turned over to the state is has become a walking/nature park. There are wonderful pictures of the old Rocky Point online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, excellent photo. I did not realize they had upside down coaster that early. We have been to Hershey Park years ago and enjoyed it as well. Being from the midwest, Cedar Point is our usual destination for coasters. It is the second oldest theme park in the U.S., begun in 1870. Home of some of the biggest and baddest coasters now. :O
    -Anne K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of these old amusement rides don't appear all that safe to me. I wonder what the mishap rate was on something like this.

    ReplyDelete