Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Elephant Rides

Today's picture is from around 1900, and it shows a family taking a leisurely ride on an elephant. I can honestly say that I have never ridden an elephant, but do thing it would be interesting. My interest would not be in an amusement park elephant, but somewhere that elephants are still really used as transportation. I would bet that there are places in India and Africa where elephants are still used for work.


  1. What a unique picture. I've never had the pleasure (?) of riding an elephant either.
    One of the best things I like about your photos is seeing the dress from the different eras. Today long skirts, big hats, and men's bowlers. Love it!
    -Anne K.

  2. I rode an elephant when I was a small child, it was my sister and me and two others. I was on the back, sitting on a board that had a pipe frame around it to 'keep us safe'. I was terrified! Every step the huge beast took, it threw us all forward and then backward, and I felt that pipe cutting into my back. It cost a nickle and the ride lasted way too long. Horrible experience!

  3. What a lovely photo! My husband cot to ride an elephant, but since I was pregnant at the time, I couldn't.

  4. I rode an elephant once...somewhere near Kichwa Tembo.
    We had a great time.

  5. Coney Island use to be such a grand place!