Saturday, October 12, 2013


Welcome to Chore Week here at OPOD. How many of you remember having to do "chores" growing up? Chores are daily domestic responsibilities that used to be split up between the children. Chores might include washing dishes, taking out the trash, mowing, feeding the animals, mowing, or even milking the cow. Did you have chores? What were they. It seems to me like most kids these days do hot have chores.

I really like the picture above, from 1900 showing a family doing laundry. The funny thing is, this is the way laundry is still done in many parts of the world. Where my daughter lives in East Africa, no one has a washing machine, all clothes are washed by hand in a tub, and dried on a line.


  1. I had the usual chores, dishes, vacuuming, folding clothes and so on.

    My kids all had the same sorts of chores, plus goat milking, barn cleaning, egg gathering and chicken feeding.

  2. All of us kids had chores and my kids had chores. I think that todays kids maybe don't have the same kind of chores because we have so many devices to make the chores easier.

    On another note: I think people back in the day wore aprons to help keep their clothes clean because it was such a chore to wash clothes. My great grandmother had sleeves that she wore over her dress sleeves while doing dishes or chores. Interesting.

  3. Yes, I had chores. As the oldest of 7 kids, (4 boys between me & my sister) I had both inside & outside duties. I washed the dishes, ironed the everyday play & work clothes & helped watch the younger siblings. I had to help the brothers bring in wood for heating, & carry water from the well to fill the tubs & wash pot the night before wash day. When we moved into Dallas, the outside chores were no longer necessary, but the dishes. ironing, baby tending, & some of the cooking continued.

  4. My daily chores included making my bed dishes/table setting and clean up (alternated with my brother), and general tidying. We had sports and music so our weekdays were lighter but weekends included splitting the vaccuuming, laundry, cleaning the bathrooms, and dusting as well as a more thorough cleaning of our own bedrooms. Additional chores would be added as needed such as weeding or window washing and as we got older we each made dinner at least once a week. My own children are 5 and 7. They are responsible for making their own beds, sorting their laundry and then helping me wash it and fold, dusting, general tidying, and my 7yr old can clean the bathroom with minimal overseeing on our part. Our 5yr old prefers to help with outside chores if we have them and will weed, stack wood, rake up and the like without being asked. Neither is old enough to cook on their own but both often help with dinner preparation and with me overseeing but not really helping my daughter can make bacon and scrambled eggs and toast or oatmeal for breakfast. They take turns setting and clearing the table and help load and unload the dishwasher, which we're getting rid of next year, so they're also learning the proper way to hand wash all dishes rather than only the pots and pans. At their ages they still require a fair amount of prompting to make sure that it gets done but they do it and will be expected continue to do so until they move out.

  5. When I was still at home (before I went to boarding school) my chores included making my bed, emptying my dad's ash tray, shaking out the scatter rugs, etc. I was paid a few cents for each one and if I did all my chores every day, I could "earn" $1 a week - not bad for a seven year old in 1949. Even at school, we all had chores - using a mop just about as wide as I was tall to dust the various hallways, setting the dining room for dinner - cotton lace place mats and linen napkins. As we got older we were assigned cleaning the chapel, and other more involved duties.

    Each of our three girls were responsible for an area downstairs - living room, dining room, and bath, and it was to be turned over to the next person in "a state of grace". Of course, they also were supposed to make their own beds and keep their rooms straight, but if they wanted to live like pigs, that was their choice. I still hang out my clothes as much as possible, and the girls had to help with that, plus folding and putting away their stuff.

  6. When we were kids my mom kept a chore chart that assigned an area each Sat. for each of us to clean: garage, upstairs, family room, basement, etc. Seems we dreaded kitchen duty the worst since it involved baking cookies on Sat. plus clearing the table all week. Horrors! ; )
    My kids do similar chores: garden hoeing, BR vacuuming, garage sweeping, wood stacking, dog walking, and a kitchen chore decided at each meal, depending on who is present.
    Looking forward to this week, as always.
    -Anne K.

  7. I had plenty of chores.(And usually those of my two older brothers as well...) haha