Sunday, September 22, 2013

New York City Fireman

This picture is from 1908, and it shows a New York City Fireman operating a fire hydrant. I really love this picture. I am always amazed at how much trimmer people were back then.


  1. This photo is such a neat window to the past. Regarding "trimness"-- lots of physical work and a diet proportional to it, unlike today. :/
    -Anne K.

  2. How is Miss EAM? Is she near the mall tragedy? I continue to love your blog!

  3. Love that moustache!

    The fire hydrant reminds me of Doctor Octopus.

    Not everyone was trim- think of Taft.

  4. We recently watched an incredible series called Century with Peter Jennings & noticed how slim, the majority were. But then that was before Fast Food Drive Ins, they did not exist before the fifties.

  5. I just found your blog and am enjoying it tremendously. Some rainy day I'll really plow through the archives.

    This one struck me. I was in NYC in July of 1977, the summer of the big blackout. I was staying with friends up around 123rd. The next morning, when the sun came up, everyone trooped down flights and flights of stairs to the hydrant, which had just enough pressure left for folks to brush their teeth and so on. There was a New York firefighter supervising things, and the scene didn't look so very different from this!