Monday, September 16, 2013

Miners Gambling

Today's picture shows Coal Miners gambling. The picture was taken in Chaplin, West Virginia. It is payday, and the men are playing cards for money on the porch of the company store. Oh well, easy come, easy go I guess.


  1. A fool and his money are soon parted.

  2. I think you're the first person ever to say coal mining was easy money.

  3. I don't see the men playing cards, what I see is a flim flam man taking bets on a variation of 3 card monte perhaps. I suppose this would be a perfect place to set up a rigged game, on pay day and at the company store. "Gather around gents, any takers"?

  4. Coal miners prior to the 1960's or 70's and at the company store and you're saying "easy money"? Really?

    I agree with Dave, it looks like a con has setup shop and is working the crowd before he heads onto the next small mining town.

    Quick to judge people in poverty?

    1. I am surprised that people did not see the intended humor . . . coal mining money as "easy" . . . of course not. The comment was intended as humor.