Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Playing in the Dirt

Today's picture shows a group of children playing in the dirt. It looks to be the same group of kids in yesterday's picture. The children appear to be fairly clean and well kept given the conditions of the area they are living in. One wonders if perhaps they were cleaned up for the picture, but it looks like they have had recent and decent hair cuts.

I have been enjoying the comments related to issues and causes of poverty. I consider the issue of poverty to be a complex one. Some people are poor for reasons totally outside their control. They are born in a place and set of circumstances that are very hard to overcome. Some people don't climb out of poverty because they don't know how. No one has ever taught them how to get and hold a job, how to shop wisely, how to live wisely . . . they just don't know. Then I think there are a lot of people who are lazy and just don't care. There are a lot of people who would prefer to game the system and get as much as they can for as little effort as they can put out.


  1. I managed a mobile home park for over 20 years. There were a lot of very nice homes and nice clean yards with flowers, but there were a few that I had to get on weekly about picking up their trash, mowing and watering their yards and not collecting junk in their yard.
    They also were the ones that I would have to chase for lot rent monthly. What would burn me up about some of the dead beats was the big screen TV and the newer cars they drove but they always seemed to be broke. Some of them truly had it hard, but most of the dead beats were just lazy, and if they had jobs they were jumping from job to job. I would take it so long and then have to evict them.
    After they were gone and the lot cleaned back up, the nearby tenants would thank me for getting rid of the eye sore the area had become.
    But there were also ones that were broke, but kept their homes neat and clean, and those people I was more tolerant with.
    But like other have said, mostly it is laziness, not money that causes the slums

  2. My Mama & Daddy raised 7 kids. They taught us at an early age to work for what we got. To do the best job possible. When I was 17, Daddy took me to the nearest shopping center, He told me to go into the first store and ask for a job. If I didn't get one there, to go to the next one, until I got one. Thankfully I got one on the first try.
    The last job I had, I retired after 20 years. I had to turn in my resignation, twice before the manager would except it.

  3. My wife took our son to the major road in our town and told him to walk south to the other end of the strip asking for a job as he went. He got one at Wendy's at the south end of the strip. He told her he needed black pants and white shirt and then he could start. She took him to Penny's and got his clothes on the spot...took him back to Wendy's and he went to work!

    He's been working ever since -

    My dad came home when I was 12 and told me he had me a job. I told him I didn't want one. He said, "Tough" - you start tomorrow!

    I had two jobs in my career - one in the AF, and one as a contractor - now the easy life!

    Ain't it grand!

    Poor is not a good place to be, but too many of our poor simply don't want to do anything to help themselves. And I'm afraid it is getting worse and our government is not helping. They are encouraging people to remain poor and dependent on handouts!

  4. Regarding the government and handouts - most "entry level" jobs only pay minimum wage, which is NOT a living wage by a long shot. There is no sliding scale for government help; you are either eligible or not - no middle ground. If you get a job paying, say, $286 a week (minimum wage X 40) you could lose ALL of your benefits. Now, honestly, who can live on that? Have you priced apartments? The public buses in the county in which I live do not run of weekends; how is a person supposed to get to work, since most places are open on Sundays now? It isn't always a case of "gaming the system" - many people simply cannot afford to go to work, and that's the truth.

    Michael is right - the government is not helping, but it is not because people don't want to help themselves. Raising the minimum wage and having a system to ease people off welfare would be a great place to start.

  5. Minimum wage for minimum skills. Anyone who isn't pleased with $7.95/hr needs to look at themselves for the answer, not the government. Learn a skill and discover a bigger paycheck goes along with it.

    The "War On Poverty" has been going on for 50 years and not only are more people in poverty, so is the government. That's because the government 'can't fix stupid' as the saying goes.