Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Louisiana Mansion

One of the first things that always strikes me when I see a mansion like this is its grandeur and stateliness. The second thing that strikes me is how hard it would be to paint. Look at those columns, and in particular the tops of the columns. Can you imagine trying to scrape all that paint off the intricate top part of the column? Also, there is lots of intricate work across the top, that would be hard to reach from a ladder. There is a small city not far from where I live that has some of these old grand style mansions, and indeed many of them have fallen into disrepair.


  1. That mansion looks like it has seen better days. Any idea of the history behind this one?

    Graham in St. John's

  2. Lovely home. I always wish I could see how the interior is decorated. I wonder if the Greeks would have dreamed that their style of classic architecture would still be inspiring folks thousands of years later?
    -Anne K.

  3. This is a photo of Belle Grove plantation home located in Iberville Parish for Mr.John Andrews. It was designed by Henry Howard and finished in 1857. It burned in 1952 having fallen into the state of disrepair seen in this photograph.
    Sic transit Gloria Mundi.

  4. Boy, Kenneth. That is a truly sad story. I always hate to see these old matrons falling due to lack of upkeep, but I could never raise the money to do it. Seems I always show up about 50-60 years too late.

  5. It is indeed a beautiful old house. I particularly like the round room on the side.

    It is a pity to see those wonderful old houses go to rack and ruin.