Friday, July 26, 2013

Robert Goddard

We wrap up Genius Week today with this picture of Robert Goddard. He, as much as anyone else, could be described as the Father of the American Space Program. This picture was taken in 1931 near Roswell New Mexico. He is transporting one of his early rocket prototypes to the launch pad behind his Ford Model A truck. I love pictures like this that show different eras . . . you would never expect to see such an early model car pulling a rocket. Goddard died in the 40's before the US space program really ramped up, so it was not until after his death that people really realized his genius.


  1. That is a great photo!

  2. Excellent photo! It really is to bad that Goddard died before the fruits of his work really 'took off' in a big way (sorry about the pun).

    On another note, I haven't seen a domestic update in a long time. I've been wondering how your daughter has been doing with her missionary work. I seem to have lost the link to her blog. I hope all is well.

    Graham in St. John's

  3. It seems to be a time warp to see the latest sleek rocket held in place by a couple of C clamps on a homemade trailer pulled by an old Ford (?) truck. Compare that to the last launcher for the shuttle and you can see the Hugh steps we have taken in the last 50 years.

  4. I think this photo is fantastic - talk about contrast - a Model A and a Rocket - how neat is that?

    I also think it ironic that the rocket is pointed right at the back of the Model A. I guess Robert was pretty sure it wasn't going to launch prematurely!

  5. Goddard was my hero when I was a teenager back in the late 50's. I did a essay on him for one of my highschool projects.
    From what I found out he was leaps and bounds ahead of every one else in the space race.