Sunday, June 16, 2013


Today's picture is from the Oil Boom in Kilgore, Texas in 1939. It shows a roughneck getting a drink of water. The job of Roughneck has always been one of the hardest and most dangerous jobs out there. There are a lot of big things moving very quickly on a rig floor, and one moment of carelessness can lead to disaster.


  1. I once worked (for a short time) as a pumper in Central Illinois. During my short time in the oil fields I did get to watch a couple of new wells being drilled. A roughneck's job is indeed extremely hard and dangerous. I would have to be hungry before I would take that job.

  2. My high school mascot is a driller. That's the varsity team. Roughnecks are junior varsity and bits are fresh-soph. Drilling is very big here in Bakersield, California.