Saturday, June 22, 2013


Welcome to Roadhouse Week here at OPOD. We will be looking at Roadhouses from a hundred years ago. As I understand it, a Roadhouse was an establishment at which travelers could stop and have a meal, or spend the night. They were privately owned establishments, and usually part of a working farm or other business. The picture above was taken around 1900 in Alaska.


  1. On the way to Grandma's house, we always stopped in a little place in Breezewood, Pa, to eat. I believe it was called the Roadhouse. It has been so many years, I don't remember for sure.

  2. I wonder where roadhouses took on the sinister connotation seen in the 30s and 40s. Movies of the time often showed them as dens of iniquity where shady men (and Women) were found to be dealing in everything against the moral community or the law. Now the only roadhouse I see is Willy Nelsons eateries in Texas. Not sinister, just pretty good restaurant food.

  3. Two white horses, ties, jackets, hats, wilderness, and a roadhouse - what a time - what a picture.

    1. I agree with Michael!
      -Anne K.