Sunday, May 19, 2013

Indian Farmer

Today's picture is from 1902, and it shows a Hopi Indian Man with a hoe. The man is a farmer, and it looks like he is growing corn. The picture was taken in New Mexico. If you have ever tried to garden, you know how hard it is to grow things. I sometimes wonder how mankind survived before mechanized farm implements and pesticides. When I grow things it is an enormous battle with bugs, the weather, and the soil. Even in the picture above, the man has the incredible resource of a steel hoe. Imagine trying to farm before steel implements.

A Comment on Comments:
I think that over the years one of the things that has made this blog successful is the wonderful participation by readers. The insightful comments always add interest to the post. I also understand how unpopular the Word Verification requirement is to post a comment. I have tried hard to make it as easy as possible to for people to comment.

The issue now is that I am getting overwhelmed by spam comments. It is not unusual to get hundreds of spam comments a day. My email becomes almost unusable because my inbox if filled with notifications of these spam comments. Also, as I sort through all this I inadvertently delete real comments.

So, regrettably  I am going to have to go back and turn word verification back on, where you will be asked to type some letters in a box when you comment to show you are a real person. The choice was to do this, or only allow registered users to comment.

I know this is a hassle, but hope you will understand there is really no way for me to manage things otherwise.


  1. I found that the best way to avoid spam without the word verification is to simply block all anonymous users.

  2. Cindy,
    By blocking anonymous users, the reader has to has to log in before commenting. This has generated more complaints for me than the word verification. The whole thing is sort of sad. The spam is a nuisance and ruins things for everyone.

  3. I like reading the comments and don't mind the verification at all.
    When I was in my teens, I had to hoe cotton and corn. Hated it.

  4. No problem on the word verification, I can understand your frustration with the spam. :(
    Being a gardener, it is still a battle with bugs, weather and soil. :)
    -Anne K.

  5. And yet the World Health Organization refuses to allow 3rd world countries to use DDT (whose dangers were grossly exaggerated). Thank them for much of the pestilence and famine Africa deals with today.

  6. Spam is the modern weeds.

    I am organic gardener, out of need, not choice. There is a small percentage of the population, to which pesticides and herbicidal cause severe allergic reactions. The chemical companies are just trying to kill us off. In addition, GMO corn is killing people, when used in excess, as in South Africa. Good luck in the in feeding future generations, as the farm workers refuse to work on GMO crops.

  7. I don't mind the word verification at all. What a shame that it has come to this though. Love your pictures.

  8. That young man probably has a body fat of 1%! Those of us who have had so much for so long cannot appreciate the term "dry farming" until we see what he had to go through to raise an ear of corn. In the 50s , my uncle dry farmed with the help of a large water pump that took water from the aquafer and help from above to get that same ear. Score (another) one for the Indians.

  9. My only problem with word verification is that I think I am losing my ability to read. What I think is one letter is obviously not when I have failed! Sorry you're having the problem.

  10. Such dust! How did he water them? The plants are beautiful. I haven't gotten my garden in yet this year- too much rain, but I am sure a drought will commence the minute I put the first seed in.

    Too bad about the spam.

  11. We will put our big boy/girl underwear on, and deal with Word Verification. We all love your blog, commenters or not!

  12. If you use Chrome for your browser you won't get any spam...I just changed over to it and was amazed at how spam free it is!

  13. I kind of suspect that the hoe he's using is preferable to what I find in the hardware stores these days. I like the size of the head and the length of the handle.
    I've been an amateur gardener for years, and I think the difficulty one has depends in a large part on the soil and climate. I definitely don't put much work in after the weeds have been cleared, and barring depredations by rabbits and racoons and such, usually get produce much tastier than I can find at the grocery.