Monday, May 13, 2013

Dehorning Cattle

Today's picture is from 1905, and it shows cowboys dehorning a calf. Some ranchers dehorn their cattle to keep them from goring each other. Others leave the horns on as they can offer some protection from predators. This is a great pictures of cowboys from over 100 years ago.


  1. we branded and dehorned at the same time.

  2. Surely it was not typical for twelve guys to stand around watching one guy do the work!

    1. Well, they were probably posing for the picture.

  3. I remember taking our goats to the vets to be de-horned. We had a hard time finding one that would do goats. Apparently their horn buds are much more difficult to get rid of then cows's horn buds.

  4. I was at a farm somewhere in Central Pennsylvania one time and I noticed that there was a cow with her full horns, in a pen all by herself. I thought that was odd since all of the others had had theirs removed. So I asked the man about it....and the answer that I received was great. The man told me that she still had her horns because there wasn't a man tough enough or brave enough to remove her horns.
    Maybe that was the case here...and why there are so many cables holding her in place.
    Or maybe they're just posing for the photo.