Thursday, February 28, 2013

Outdoor Classroom



Today's picture shows an outdoor classroom at the Tuskegee Institute. The students are being trained in the finer points of Botany. I continue to be impressed by the dress and decorum of students back at this time. The picture was taken about 1900.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

I am happy to announce that our trip to DFW was successful, and we were able to safely see the lovely Ms. EAM through the final leg of her trip home. We got home about 9:00 last night. I am sure it will take her a few days to recover from the trip, and then I am excited to hear from her many stories of her life in East Africa.

6 comments:

  1. There seems to be a fair amount of them in military uniforms. But I do see a few men on the left side that are with out any head covering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another group of nicely dressed students. I wonder how posed these photos were? The Tuskegee Institute did a lot to raise the dignity of African Americans in that era. Again I recommend "Up From Slavery," the autobiography of Booker T. Washington.
    -Anne K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good read is "Black Like Me" a true story about a man that wanted to experience what it was like being black.He took some kind of pill that turned his skin dark, & traveled through out the south.

      Delete
    2. The book was written by John Howard Griffin in 1964.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy to hear that EAM made it home safe and sound. All the best. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fairly certain that Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, and Martin Luther King are rolling in their graves at today's crop of students.

    ReplyDelete