Sunday, November 25, 2012

Fancy Hat



Ladies Hat week continues with this monstrosity. I would be lying if I did not tell you I don't get this whole high fashion thing. Why would someone invest SO much time, money, and effort to look like this? Does it really matter that much. Can you imagine how inconvenient it would be to wear a thing like this. Do you take it off when you get in the car? Do you have people travel with you to go chase your hat down when it blows off? I mean, this is really over the top to me.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

Long time OPOD visitors know that I enjoy being as self reliant as possible. We have a greenhouse where we grow all our own vegetables and spices, and we get our eggs from Chickie Town, located in the back yard. In cases where we do not grow things, we like to make things starting from the most basic ingredients possible. So, last week I acquired a 50 pound bag of Blue Corn, and wanted to see what I could do with it. The corn is Heirloom variety, meaning it is not the genetically modified or hybrid kind.

I was very pleased with the quality and cleanness of the corn. All big plump pretty kernels. I took a cup and ground it in our Wolfgang Grain Mill. It made a really nice measure of Blue Cornmeal. I then used the cornmeal to make cornbread, and yes, you end up with blue cornbread!


The cornbread turned out great, and was exploding with flavor. When you grind grain right before you use it, you get sensational flavor not present with prepackaged flour or meal. The broccoli was grown in the greenhouse. The brisket was bought, but I do have a smoker for cooking them. This was a delicious meal, and one I enjoyed growing some of the ingredients for, and making the rest from scratch. 

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a giant plate of spaghetti on her head!

    The corn and corn bread are beautiful.

    I enjoy growing different vegetables. I have grown blue potatoes. They are very good but don't do well in potato salad because the whole thing turns a particularly unappetizing shade of grey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good hats for the men, bad hats for the women.'Lets make fun of the ladies.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. That briskett looks wonderful. We don't get that up here in Newfoundland(at least I've never found it). The corn bread looks tasty, too.

    Graham in St. John's

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of birds almost went extinct making hat for ladies back in the early 1900's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you going to try and grow some of that blue corn. That would be a nice project.

    What no home grown eggs with meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad we don't wear hats like this anymore, but on the other hand, it sure would make walking down the street a lot more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a BEAUTIFUL photo of the corn kernels. Thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kind of reminds me of the rules on the ski slopes....the one with the coolest (ie. most outragous) hat wins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is it that women have been afflicted with such absurd headgear and footgear, over the years.

    They seem to have been freed from bad weird hats, but bad weird women's shoes live on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lot of beautiful birds almost went extinct as a result of these fashion trends.

    ReplyDelete