Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bill Drennan



Rugged Man week continues with this picture of Bill Drennan. I was actually looking for a picture of Kit Carson. Carson was a really interesting historical figure fully worth of Rugged Man week; however, I was unable to find a suitably rugged picture of him. During the search though, I found this picture of Bill Drennan, who was a close associate of Carson. Drennan was a scout and Indian Fighter. Unfortunately, I was not able to find any other information on him.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

As my long time visitors will know, my own Rugged Man spirit drives me to want to be as self sufficient as possible. Over the years, I continue to work towards greater levels of self sufficiency. Our home is powered by solar panels and a wind turbine, and Chickie Town provides Mrs. PJM and myself a delightful breakfast each morning. Another key element of our self sufficient lifestyle is our greenhouse. The greenhouse produces an abundance of Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Cucumbers year round. This provides the key elements of a nice salad for lunch each day. In addition, to make the salad more filling, Mrs. PJM includes a sliced/boiled Chickie Town egg on the salad. I really enjoy the salad for lunch, and find it to be filling while at the same time not giving you that right after lunch lethargy you can get from heavy lunches.

My next goal has been to start making Dinner more self sufficient as well. Because of this, I have been wanting to start growing a more substantive vegetable in the greenhouse . . . something with a little more filling power than salad. So, the vegetable I have been working on is Broccoli. It turns out it is a little bit of a challenge to grow broccoli hydroponically. After quiet a bit of work, I have developed a nutrient mixture and growing conditions that produce really nice broccoli hydroponically and without any growing media. I have now put a system together that will produce 4 heads of broccoli a week. The picture below shows the head that I picked yesterday.


This turned out to be a fairly large challenge, as you need to control growing conditions such that the broccoli puts the head on and matures before the roots grow so much that they clog the growing tray, and cause the grow channels to clog. I found a key thing was to choose a broccoli cultivar that puts a head on quickly.

And now for you Chickie Town fans a gratuitous picture of one of our newest residents, Ms. Fluffy.



17 comments:

  1. Ms. Fluffy looks like she has a bit of attitude!

    Thanks for the updates.

    Graham in St. John's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your domestic updates are so much fun! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is that thing that looks like an eyeball right above Ms. Fluffy's head?
    What color eggs does Ms. Fluffy lay.
    That looks like a great head of broccoli.
    Now if you could find a way to grow a turkey on the green house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DADD, I am not seeing the eyeball . . . Ms. Fluffy lays green tinted eggs.

      Given our experience in Chickie Town, it would be relatively easy to grow turkey, but Ms. PJM and I have difficulty imagining eating any Chickie Town residents.
      PJM

      Delete
    2. In the center of the very top of the photo, it look like a yellow circle with a black dot in it, just like a chicken eyeball

      Delete
    3. Dadd, that is the end of a hose.
      PJM

      Delete
  4. Bill Drennan wrote a book about his adventures. You can read it for free here:
    http://tinyurl.com/azwrkke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a lot of debate about his book. Some of it is factual, but a lot seems to be fiction

      Delete
  5. Good for you, nothing better than homegrown! Love the picture of Ms. Fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lettuce looks great and the broccoli too. I agree the domestic updates are a fun feature of OPD. When I was a teenager my parents bought an old farm and we did a bit of homesteading. My mom has always been a gardener but when we got to the country we kept goats and chickens. Both laying hens and birds for meat. If I was doing it today I would definately raise up a Chickie town for the bbq as well as some egg layers. The fresh meat tastes so good when you can give them high quality feed and a bit of free range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best eggs come from free range chickens.

      Delete
  7. When they quit laying they make good chicken and dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drennan is interesting in that he is wearing a vest or coat done in a Metis beaded design. The word Metis is not a common word in the US but it is in Canada and some other countries. It comes from the French word meaning 'mixed', in other words a marriage between a European and a Native. So he is either Metis himself or was presented with the coat or vest.

    The 'eye' about the chicken looks like what is called an 'eye' in a peacock feather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photo of Ms Fluffy. I remember Ms Honey. This is a beautiful bird. Your produce is lovely. Makes us wish for a green house. Love the photos, all of them. Looking forward to this week. Happy Thanksgiving. When family celebrates family. Bless each and everyone.

    ReplyDelete