Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mining Camp



Today's picture shows a couple of prospectors in their mining camp near Deadwood. The picture was taken in 1887. One man is tending a pot on a campfire, while the other one is bringing in a deer he has shot. Also notice in the foreground there is another deer with a rifle leaning on it. I would say these men will eat well this winter.

I have enjoyed this week of pictures, and the discussions on Old West boom towns. I have had the chance to visit Virginia City, Silverton, Durango and several others in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado. One place I have always wanted to visit but have never had the chance is Tombstone, Arizona.  Has anyone visited there? Is it nicely preserved? I always considered the story of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday at the showdown at the OK coral to be the absolute classic of all Western shootouts.

6 comments:

  1. I have been to Tombstone and had a good time in 1990 but it too had really changed since my first visit in 1947. There is another old town in New Mexico if I remember right was White Oak which at that time still had a few people and buildings. You are closer to it than I am so you could ride over and take some photos and let us know. I have always liked the desert around that area. Also did any of your readers ever cross the Navaho, Hopi reservation in north east Arizona from New Mexico through Keams Canyon through Tuba City and on to the Grand Canyon area in the 1940s. It was dirt all the way and quite a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fell in a manhole in Dodge City in 2005; outside of that a very good time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Tombstone when I was there two years ago. Seems very commercial to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I have never been to an Old West Town. I have been to the Alamo, very interesting. The bullet holes in the wall were particularly sobering. I would hardly call San Antonio an Old West Town.

    I, however, have been to an old abandoned mining camp and an old abandoned lumber camp, both in the woods of Pennsylvania. They were interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the more interesting things about tombstone is Boot Hill.

    Here lies Les Moore
    Four slugs from a 44,
    No less, no more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed, Boot Hill is nicely done!

    ReplyDelete