Monday, October 1, 2012

Adobe House



New Mexico Week continues here at OPOD with this picture of a couple living in an Adobe Home. The picture was taken in 1940, and the couple are homesteaders who had just moved to New Mexico from Oklahoma. They built this adobe home the previous winder.

Adobe homes are an important part of New Mexico tradition, and they remain popular today. They are rustic, beautiful and very warm. The thick mud bricks make excellent insulation, so the homes stay nice and warm in winter with their wood burning fire places.


8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little house! Almost like a fairy tale house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to visit New Mexico. I hear so many good things about that state. They say it's absolutly beautiful. I get the Santa Fe Arts and Tourism news letter sent to me every other week. Maybe next summer I can vaca in Sante Fe. Nothing remainds me of Fall and October like New England though. Depends on where your from and what your used to I suppose. Excellant theme for this week, I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moved from Oklahoma to New Mexico. Built their adobe home. I bet there is a fascinating family story behind this photo. Thanks again PJM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fireplace is different than any I've seen. Very interesting for the large area of dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way she has her treadle sewing machine set up with the light coming in over her shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be comfortable in an adobe home. . . I feel it:) Is that a radio, The Misses is adjusting, up on the top of the orange crate shelf? If so, it is a BIG one! Oh, I wish there were more photos of this cozy home . . . and a written history of these folks that built their house one winter and then moved on down from Oklahoma. Hope they lived it in a good long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can anyone see what the box is that she is fiddling with?

    ReplyDelete