Monday, September 24, 2012

Soup Time



Today's picture was taken in 1910, and it shows a group of school children enjoying some soup. The picture was taken in Providence, Rhode Island. I love the big heater in the middle of the room. I would imagine that thing could keep the room nice and toasty.

Speaking of soup, Mrs. PJM made a wonderful batch of Roasted Tomato Basil soup yesterday. The tomatoes and basil were fresh from the garden. The recipe started with a good amount of onions and garlic sauteed in olive oil and butter, and then some chicken broth and the roasted tomatoes and basil. It was served with grilled cheese sandwiches. Boy, that was delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting, There are no desks in the photo, and it looks like the black board is behind the stove.
    It may look like that big barrel heater would keep the place warm, but every one seems to wearing their cold weather gear. Some look like they have on light gloves also.

    But your soup sounded very good, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That heater looks a lot like the one in my first grade school room. The teacher taught First through Fifth grades in one class room. This was in 1941. A country school. The thing I remember most, was the flash cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how fancy or plain - grilled cheese and tomato soup is the ultimate in comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stove does look in rather an awkward position.

    Could I have the recipe? I have some of the same things in my garden. It is cool here. Perfect soup weather.

    Some times I make a creme of celery or cauliflower or broccoli or whatever soup. I boil the vegetables in chicken broth until they are soft. Then I puree them but don't strain them, then I add light cream or heavy cream and some milk and let it simmer until thick and then season to taste. This also works great with mushrooms but instead of pureeing them, I chop them and slice a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum!!!! Going to try this.

      Delete
  5. Tomato soup and grilled cheese is my favorite meal of all time!

    ReplyDelete