Saturday, September 29, 2012

New Mexico


Welcome to New Mexico Week! With fall upon us, I am reminded of what a beautiful time of year fall is in New Mexico. I lived for 20 years in New Mexico, and fondly remember this time of year. There was a crispness in the air this time of year, and the air was filled with the pleasing aroma roasting Green Chilies, and the smell of pinon wood burning in fire places. Also, this is the time of the year of the Balloon fiesta, where over 1,000 balloons are participating in a week long event. This week we will be looking at some of the rich history and traditions of New Mexico.

The picture above was taken in about 1900, and shows a woman on the San Juan Pueblo weaving a blanket.

7 comments:

  1. About the only thing I know about N.M. is Santa Fe is the capital and Roswell is there.

    And the world's best preserved meteorite impact site is there also. I visted that site back in 1962, before all the fencing went up and you could climb down to the bottom. I just wish I knew about it then, what I know now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DADD, do you mean Meteor crator in Arizona? I did a Google search and couldn't find what you described above in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that country and I'm looking forward to the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We moved 1.5 years ago from the Los Angeles area to Albuquerque. We love New Mexico, the mountains, the blue skies, the stormy clouds in the evenings, the friendly people, the history and the art of the west. But the Rio Grande is a shallow river here with very little water in it. We like Socorro and Silver City. We haven't been to Taos or Four Corners yet. The magazine New Mexico is very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Mexicans spell it as "chiles", and that distinguishes them and their green chiles from Texas, etc. with their alternate spellings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, I said I didn't know any thing about N.M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to get my hands on one of those blankets. The hand woven ones are so soft and warm. Much better than the mass produced ones you find today.

    ReplyDelete