Saturday, June 9, 2012

Log Cabins



Welcome to Log Cabin Week here at OPOD. We will be looking at old log cabins all week long. Today's picture shows some of the details of construction at the corner of the house. This picture was taken in Silver Bow County in Montana. I always dreamed of living in a log cabin home. I am sure you have seen some of the brochures and advertisements for modern log cabin kits. They have some really beautiful, rustic homes you can make out of these kits. I looked into this at one point, but what I learned is that the exposed lumber in log homes will quickly look like the logs in this picture if you do not maintain the outside of the house. I think if you have a log home, you are supposed to treat the exterior exposed wood at least once a year. That is more maintenance than I wanted to do, so I built a rock home.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, a very wise choice.
    I also was thinking about building a nice big log home back in the 80's. But I did some checking into it and found out about the extreme amount of maintenance you have to do, not onl;y on the outside but the inside has a ton of maintenance also. Which wouldn't be to bad when a person is younger, but it would be hell to pay when you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Squire and I also considered a log house, until it dawned on *one* of us that the interior would take a powerful lot of dusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is one of the things I found out, was that they have a tendence to develope cracks, and you would have to be ready to seal them right away.

      Delete
  3. You could cover the inside wall with sheetrock or paneling, but then why build a log home if you are going to hide the logs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were some beautiful old log cabins complete with chinking and all in Pennsylvania where I used to live. The up keep must have been a nightmare. There were also some beautiful old stone houses as well. The stone houses were not with out maintenance woes either. I prefer stone to log.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Log and stone houses are my favourite! Dusting and resealing not so much. Looking forward to this weeks photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just spoke to our eldest - she and her husband had a cabin in WVA for about ten years. She said they sprayed it with something very similar to deck sealant every other year. Would be a dead calm day until they got out the sprayer and then the breeze kicked up. The liquid was so light that it didn't take much air stirring to get it everywhere. She said it was "the ultimate spray tan".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, log homes do require more maintenance than the average home. They sure are cozy though. Every time I walk into my in-laws' cabin, I want to just lay down and take a nap.

    ReplyDelete