Monday, June 4, 2012

Ice Cream Cones



Today's picture was taken in 1917, and it shows children working in an ice cream cone making company. I am not sure how the device works that you see, but you can see it is making ice cream cones.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

Had a great day out at Mattaw yesterday, meeting some of the new children. It is amazing to me how resilient children can be, and how quickly  they can be restored to being happy children. These two children were rescued out of unspeakable horror  about a month ago, and now look at the brilliant smiles they have. The smiles are not poses for the camera, but are a reflection of a joyous heart. The little boy on the right sat in my lap all day wanting to be tickled. He has the funniest little laugh. That is all he wanted all day was to be tickled. I won't share there storied here, but will say that to see the smiles on their faces, and to know what is in their past, I can truly say that God and the love of Christ are definitely at work in East Africa.

9 comments:

  1. You got to love their idea of "Sanitary Ice Cream Cones' It looks like a pig sty in that building./
    Paint coming off the walls (the lower far wall really need to be painted), stuff on the bench and the floor. The equipment looks like it hasn't been cleaned in ages. The big kettle looks like it needs a good scrubbing. Todays health inspector would have that place shut down after two steps in the door.
    I'll stop here, because now I may never eat a ice cream cone again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a similar pic in shorpys pic website couple of years ago, the "Sanitary Ice Cream Cone" factory in OKC, OK. I love it when companies use names that is the opposite of wehat they are/do. But I am sure lots of peoples kitchens wouldnt pass health codes either.

    Great pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but, your kitchen is not trying to sell something to the public and saying it is "sanitary".

      Delete
  3. I'll bet those two little boys would just love to have an ice cream cone. Hope you are keeping a journal -- hope you write a book -- proceeds to Mattaw??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The factory is pretty dismal and rather filthy, but people are rather resilient to dirt and germs. Be that as it may, I agree with Wesley, cleanliness is next to Godliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleanliness is next to impossible!

      Delete
  5. Nice picture of you and your new Kenya friends at the lovely EAM's site. It looks like you may have found a new home away from home. Good luck with your development work there. Please keep us posted on that effort as well as the old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I see you went over the 2,500 mark for FOLLOWERS oner the week-end. Good job PJM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are those cones made from? Are they rubber/plastic or something to maybe hold a cone inside a case? Weird whatever they are and I think I'll pass on the sanitary cones and just have an old Askey's cone from the box on top of my freezer. (That box needs dusting! lol!)

    Lovely picture from Africa. It's so good to see some pictures containing joy and happiness from that blighted continent. (And I mean blighted mainly by man in all his forms.)

    ReplyDelete