Monday, June 25, 2012

Drilling for Water



This is an interesting picture of a man drilling for water at Pie Town, New Mexico. He is using a technique of drilling by impacting. A large bar with a bit like device on the end is lifted up and then dropped. When it hits, it shatters rock and compacts them out of the way to the side. Then the bar is lifted and dropped again. The engine he is standing next to is used to lift the bar. When the guy sort of tightens the rope of the spinning pulley, the bar is lifted, when he loosens the tension it drops. Eventually, with a little luck, he will get down to water.

Operation HAO Update:

To all you naysayers out there, I am pleased to report that operation HAO is ahead of schedule. We are making phenomenal progress. I should say that I do appreciate all the notes of encouragement and offers to help. Unfortunately, there is not really a good way for you to help me. A number of you have indicated a desire to possibly provide financial support for the project, but it really does not make sense. If you were to paypal me $50 to help with the project, IRS would consider that reportable income, and I would have to pay taxes, so your $50 contribution would net result in only $30 help on the project, so while I appreciate the offers of help, it just makes most sense for me to cover costs of this project. 



You can see that we are deep enough now that we actually have to use a rope to get to the bottom.  Also, would you all like  to  hazard a guess as to what the Well Diggers name is? It is perhaps the perfect name for someone digging a well.

The picture below better shows the hole. Notice how round and perfectly straight the hole is . . . all without any measurement tools. Also notice how he has carved himself a ladder is the sidewall of the well, making it easier to get in and out.



13 comments:

  1. You bring me hope.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His name is Isaac.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing, that hole is perfectly round, how did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been able to come up with a better name than Myrtle's but I can assure you that this fellow does not suffer from claustrophobia. There is barely enough room to turn around in that shaft. I could not be down there and still do the work.

    I notice the Digger is always smiling (as are most of the other folks native to that area) so I will name him Happy even though it is probably not his name.

    Can't wait for Happy to be sloshing in water very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like he has done this before...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm totally impressed with that well. All with handtools. Really amazing! When I was a kid I had a friend nicknamed Beaver. Now he works for a tree company. Along the same lines, I'm guessing this guys name is Mole?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez - I'm nervous of a cave in. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My guess? His name could be: DOUG

    ReplyDelete
  9. If is name isn't Isaac, it is Digger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful saga . . . thank you for allowing us to follow it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi PJM. . . you are wonderful for helping others!
    Why can't we just give you a gift, which is non-taxable? You could set up a indiegogo account, like the bus monitor lady.

    ReplyDelete