Sunday, June 24, 2012

Digging Well



Today's picture was taken in 1938 in Missouri. It shows men digging a water well by hand. They appear to be using some sort of auger to do the job. In some areas where the ground is soft and the water is near the surface, there are many ways to drill a well by hand.

OK, in reading over the comments yesterday, I felt some were borderline "harsh" towards the poor African orphans. It was suggested that perhaps they were spending too much time in Bible Study, prayer, and devotional time in the morning, and that they might could better spend that time fetching water. It was almost as though people felt that these children are responsible for their desperate situation. Hmmm . . . lets see . . . they have spent the last year earnestly seeking the Lord each day. What if God were to send them someone with the heart and resources to give them a well? We will have to keep our eyes open and see if something crazy like that happens.

Funny you should mention it. I had a little time on my hands yesterday and went and visited the kids again. Careful to not disturb their devotional time, I decided to see if maybe I could initiate project Hydrate African Orphanage (Project HAO). This is the secret code name for the project, so please do not mention it to anyone. For HAO to be successful I will need to locate tools or implements suitable for digging a well.



Done! This instrument looks suitably sharp that a properly motivated person could probably dig deep enough to find water. Now, I just need to find someone young, strong, energetic and talented who is looking for work digging holes.


Done! I found this guy who is a veritable hole digging machine. I struck a deal with him, and turned him lose. Watching him dig, I am reminded of the old Johnny Cash song, "John Henry".  Project HAO is underway! Will we find water? Is this just another crazy Mr. PJM scheme? Does the story have a happy ending? Please stay tuned, and be sure to vote in the pole in the left margin of this page. Oh, and the guy standing there with the nice shoes, he is not associated with the orphanage or the hole  digging. He is my driver, and he likes to have his picture taken, so he always manages to get in the shot. 

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

8 comments:

  1. Well, it seems that you generally succeed in you projects. So good luck on this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer is important. Jesus himself always managed to spend some time alone with His father in prayer, can we do no less? God will bless your efforts, I'm sure. John Wesley once said,"Pray as if it all depends on God and work as if it all depends on you".

    I hope your well isn't as deep as ours otherwise you will be drilling a long time. Ours is 300 feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The winch, bucket, and several feet of rope are already in place so there clearly is great optimism in this project.

    I hope he find water without going too far down. There is no shoring or casing protecting him from a cave-in while he digs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How expensive are bricks to line it with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The amazing PJM at work again. Rocks or bricks to shore up the sides essential. Thanks for giving up a specific thing to pray for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to check on resources there that could tell you the depth to water - if possible. Is there casing available, pumps, solar panels? I know - I'm thinking bigger; but why not do it right so it will last a long, long time. Please see the links I provided yesterday as a possible source for grant money or materials.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we contribute $$ for this project? I do pray for a successful well. Close water would make a huge difference for these children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would be interesting to begin a program of drilling wells where they are needed most and then expanding the program to other locations for both health and economic development purposes. From the comments above, there is financial support ready to get the ball rolling. It could not be done without your heavy participation there, PJM. You are in my prayers.

    I sure would support a set of new handles for the well digging tools. I bet the current tools were old when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete