Monday, May 7, 2012

Shoeing Horse



Today's picture was taken in 1940 in San Angelo, Texas. That is about 15 miles from where I live. The picture shows a blacksmith shoeing a horse. Horse shoeing was one of the important jobs of the blacksmith. I have never shod a horse, but I have seen it done several times. The times I saw it done, cussing was a big part of the job. I don't know if everyone cusses when they shoe a horse, but the times I saw it done, the guy was cussing up a storm. As you can see in the picture, the blacksmith has to first position himself in the perfect position to be kicked by the horse. The horse, not being stupid, takes advantage of this situation to at least give an attempt to kick the guy. Next, you can see that the blacksmith must lift the horses leg to work on the hoof. The theory is that the horse should dirstribute his weight to the other three legs, but in reality, the horse will lean on the blacksmith. So the blacksmith is trying to do a tedious job, and the horse starts leaning a good bit of his weight on him. Well, that is when the cussing really gets started. If you have seen it unfold differently, please share your story.

9 comments:

  1. My dad, who is only 5'2", had a little tripod that he put under the horses "knee". This prevented them from leaning on him to a certain extent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guy I know that would shoe horses hardly ever talked while doing his job. He would come out to the farm or ranch and just go about his business, and you would go about yours He carried ever thing he needed with him to do his job, and pretty soon he was all done and wanting to be paid. His work was always top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if it was my job I'd shoe exclusively miniature horses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son in law is from San Angelo.
    A lot of history in those parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they are called "farriers" ~

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrier

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your narrative pretty well "nailed" it. And its not that easy to cuss with horseshoe nails in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband was a farrier in his younger years. His foster dad trained him in this craft on a ranch in PA where he grew up. Today, there's schools to go to for that. We're so technical anymore. But still - there are fine modern methods to be implemented. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. i grew up seeing many different farriers like anything each has a different personality never heard much cussing ever one would sing as he did it , then i did it for 5 yrs myself and don't think i cussed many times . i like your pictures but sometimes you say things you know nothing about , i know a guy that at least used to do allot of trading of stolen saddles he had peacocks need i go on .........

    ReplyDelete