Saturday, April 21, 2012

Space Monkey



OK, it is hard for me to believe that the  Space Program is over 50 years old now. It was such a cutting edge high tech thing when I was a child. I can remember following every launch of the Gemini and Apollo programs. All children were amazed by these exciting endeavors, and the space program spurred a generation of young people to get into science and engineering. 

Today's picture is from 1961, and it shows Ham, a space monkey. In the early days of the Mercury program, primates were used to test the systems. On January 31, 1961 Ham was successfully launched into suborbital flight in a Mercury rocket. The mission was a success, and Ham returned safely to earth.

10 comments:

  1. You didn't explain yesterdays photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, it was the government testing poison gas for use on gardens. Your tax dollars at work, again.

      Delete
  2. anyone know whatever became of Ham???

    P.S. do you need an account of some kind to comment under your name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just click on the "Box" below that says "Select profile". When it opens up I go down and click on the "NAME/URL". The another little box opens and I select "Edit profile"
      and write my name in there and hit "Continue". Then my name is then in the "Reply as" box with 2 little boxes below that and I click on the "Publish" box, and that all there is to it.

      Delete
  3. We took a tour of Cape Canaveral in March and one of the launch pads we visited was the one used to launch Ham into space. He was the first ape into space, and was recovered safely after his flight. I think I remember that they retired him after that and that he went to the National Zoo in Washington and lived to the ripe old age, for apes, at least, of 27. They said there that there were several monkeys in space ahead of Ham, but that he was the first ape in space and the first to be trained to perform a specific task while weightless. At that time, the effects of weightless were unknown, and Ham's mission was to see if he could perform his simple task while weightless. He was successful, and it was onward and upward, until the present administration decided we don't need much of a space program any more

    ReplyDelete
  4. President Kennedy, interrupted during press conference and handed paper:
    Reading,

    "This champanzee that's been put into outer space...he reports that everything is working and he is doing well".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great...I just did a lesson with my class about Laika, the space dog and now I can show a photo of Ham.

    Love the site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ham is buried about a mile from my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ham is buried about a mile from my house.

    ReplyDelete