Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oyster Boat



Today's picture was taken in 1911 and it shows an oyster boat. The men are using long sticks that have rake/cage like devices on the bottom, so they sort of scoop up the oysters on the bottom. I am not sure what the right term for gathering oysters . . . fishing does not sound right, they really are not "catching" them since they are not moving. So, maybe some one can tell me what the proper terminology is. The picture was taken near Bayou La Batre, Alabama.

Domestic Update:

Would appreciate your prayers for the lovely Ms. EAM. She has been in a hospital in Kitale for the last several days. I don't have the complete story, but a few days ago she got really sick really quickly. Some friends took her to the hospital, and it sounded like some combination of Typhoid Fever and Malaria. They got her on an IV, and I spoke to her briefly yesterday, and she said she was feeling better. The IV rehydrated her, and got the medicine she needed quickly. Now, it sounds like she is really fighting a tough type of Malaria, which did not respond to the first levels of treatment. I was able to talk to her for a few minutes this morning. She is still groggy, but said the medicines appear to be making her better.

In the brief conversation, it made me think about all the things we take for granted over here. She said she was lucky and was able to get a private bed. The norm for hospitals there is two people per twin size bed. Also, the hospital does not stock any supplies. It is the patients responsibility to supply all bandages, needles, medications, and other supplies. Luckily, she has a friend who is taking care of fetching whatever the doctor asks for. Then what is really hard to believe is that at meal time, baboons come through the hospital and take the patients food, which is a plate of plain Ugale. Those who are strong enough, or have friends in the room can chase the baboons off, those who can't lose their Ugale. 

9 comments:

  1. I will certainly pray for your lovely daughter. Remember that Jesus is the Master Physician.
    It is hard enough to have a sick child but to have that child half way across the world! I will pray for you and your lovely wife as well.

    Oysters were a big part of the local economy here along the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. There are not so many now.
    I guess it is called harvesting oysters but I really don't know.

    I, too enjoy your blog, I find it refreshing and am very glad you keep it clean Thanks for all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to your daughter. Having two people in each hospital bed has got to be very helpful in curing people...not!

    We are so lucky to live in this country. I only wish more of our countrymen and women understood this.

    Four attempts now...will #5 succeed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The process is called (at least on the Chesapeake Bay)"dredging", and by the locals "tongng". The tongs are usually about 15 to 20 feet long and are heavy.
    In Maryland many of the oysters are harvested this way from boats that still have sails and cannot use a motor while dredging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers are sent to your lovely daughter and you and her mother. I know it must be very hard to be so far away from her at a time like this. I know that Jesus will care for her and she will be well enough to continue her work for Him.
    How long will she be in Africa? or is she staying on.
    Love the picture!! LAM IL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm shocked to read that these conditions still exist anno 2012. I hope she'll be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your daughter. Don

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for Miss EAM. I hope she will recover soon. She has been so sick since being over there. I know in my brain that those types of hospital conditions exist, but still don't believe the reality. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too will be in prayer...this I know, prayer changes things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss EAM is in my prayers. The writer Jack London was an oyster pirate here in SF bay.

    ReplyDelete