Thursday, February 16, 2012

Corn Harvest



All these corn shucking pictures this week have me really thinking about the corn dishes I like to eat. I have narrowed it down to my two favorites. I love cornbread. Here is the best cornbread recipe if you would like to try it. Now, as much as I love cornbread, I love grits even more. Here is the secret to making grits. First, use real grits, not quick grits. Make them according to the instructions on the package, but as they are about done, add about two tablespoons of butter and a half cup of cheddar cheese. Throw in some cooked bacon, chopped up, and a Green Chili chopped up. Now let the grits finish cooking and make sure the good stuff is all stirred in. Now pour the hot grits into a casserole dish, and put in the refrigerator. They will sort of solidify when they get cold. Let them sit in the refrigerator about a day, and then get them out, cut them into pieces about three inch square. Then take the squared and put them in the oven under the broiler. Cook them until there is a golden brown crust on the top, and the inside is hot. Now eat. Man, those are good.

7 comments:

  1. Knee deep in corn. that's a lot of corn. I wonder how long they were at it.

    I cook up some bacon and use bacon grease instead of corn oil in my corn bread. I also crumble up the bacon and add it to the batter. Sometimes I add a can of creamed corn.

    The way I like grits best is on someone else's plate, but your recipe sounds intriguing. I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love corn, cream corn, whole kernel corn, cornbread, any kind of corn, even hominy. I make a very good Frito-Corn salad. When we have a family get-to-gather, I take it and always bring an empty dish home. It's a hit with every one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both hominy and grits, and I'll have to give it a try. ('ll leave out the bacon, though.) Oddly enough, I live in Maryland and have eaten grits all of my life, but the Lord of the Manor grew up in NC and had never had them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I googled grits and know what they are I need to eat them to know how they taste. Unfortunately I won't find them here in Quebec and have not planed to travel south.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I accidently posted the following comment on yesterdays comment page when I meant to post it on todays comment page. I think this new word verification has me all messed up. I too can hardly read the 2nd word and I swear I am not a robot. LOL ....

    I too have never had grits but that recipe PJM talked about sounds fantastic. My mom used to make the best chilli corn carni around and her corn chowder (thats chowda for us New England folk LOL)was really good. My older son hates corn, can't stand the smell or taste. I don't know what it is with that kid. He will actually get sick to his stomach if he even smells corn on the cob. Yesterday Grandpa mentioned that the stalks were bundeled together so they could dry and become bedding in the barn. I always wondered what that was for, thanks for the info, Grandpa. Seems like it's evolved into Fall decoration. The farm near my house sells them as decorations to tie on your mailbox. Corn week is fun, everything ya ever wanted to know about corn huh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The grits sound yummy, but my triglycerides shot up just reading the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PJM----your comment count is going to go down drastically because one of the two words in the new word verify fiasco is almost impossible to read. I am up to 3 tries already, and ready to give up. I doubt I will be back with any comments until this is fixed back to the way it was, or is eliminated altogether. A lot of the other blogs I read do not have the word verify rigamarole.

    ReplyDelete