Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snake Week



Sorry I am late with my post this morning. I did something I have not done in years . . . I slept in. Yes, the drain of years of hard work has finally taken its toll on me, and I decided to sleep in till 9:00. I assure you it will not happen again, but I do feel much better now.

This week is going to be Snake Week. I will tell you up front that I do not like snakes. We have three types of poisonous snakes here; Diamond Back Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins, and Copperheads. I will be honest with you, if I happen up on a poisonous snake, I kill it. Simple as that. Now I sit back and brace for the angry comments and hateful email.

Anyway the picture above was taken in 1934 in Tel Aviv. I have done extensive research on this photograph and can assure you that the person accidentally dropped the little mouse, and he escaped unharmed.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry, that's a rat, not a mouse. And don't worry, the snake caught it before it ran very far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like rats and mice. I do not like snakes.
    Still snowing.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not fond of any snake, butI match your sentiments, PJM, on the posionus ones. I know they get mice (big an little) and that's fine. They just better not be where I am while they are doing that or they will certainly perish.

    I agree with Stu, that is a rat not a mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. A rat. However, domestic rats are raised for two reasons: live food for snakes, etc., and laboratory research. I will admit, however, that these "home-grown" rats make very good pets. I would have a pet rat before I would consider a pet snake. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting a full night's sleep is a good thing! Hopefully you did, Mr. PJM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In spite of all good sense, I am actually very fond of mice. My husband and I sit kitty litter buckets with birdseed or catfood in the bottom, and when a mouse falls in, we carry it out to the compost heap. (And then run REAL fast to beat it back to the house!)

    When I was little my mom would sometimes find garter snakes in the garden, and pick them up. If I promised to be very gentle, I was allowed to hold it, so she tricked me into not being afraid of snakes. I do know which ones are poisonous, and I have a healthy respect for those, but I just go the other way when I meet one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, venom from copperheads is not deadly. People who are dying from such venom suffered from allergic reactions. Source: copperheadsnake.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would much rather have a snake around instead of any kind of rodent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting that we have the same three poisonous snakes in my region of KY (copperheads, water moccasins, and rattlers). Our rattlesnakes are timber rattlers. I have never seen any of the Big Three in our yard, but we do have a blacksnake that is at least 8 feet long and three or four inches in diameter. He gives me quite a start every time I see him.

    Trying to do my bit for the comment count here... :)

    ReplyDelete